IVDR-certified Tertiary NGS Analysis
To meet EU-wide quality standards, laboratories must ensure that their in-house IVDs (Laboratory Developed Tests) comply with the In Vitro Diagnostics Regulation (IVDR). Find out which important changes affect the use of your NGS tertiary analysis and how MH Guide helps you to comply.
IVDR - The most important changes affecting your software applications
The European Union In Vitro Diagnostics Regulation (EU) 2017/746 (IVDR) also regulates in-house IVDs that are manufactured by health institutions. Therefore, the IVDR also affects e.g. tumor profiling workflows of pathology laboratories, including the software applications used within tumor profiling. We have summarized the most important advantages for the use of IVDR certified CE-IVD software within in-house IVDs.
The advantages of using IVDR-certified software in tumor profiling workflows
The IVDR requires that in-house IVDs must also comply with the general safety and performance requirements of Annex I from May 2022, including performance evaluation in accordance with article 56 of the regulation. Thus, the IVDR has various implications for laboratories that employ either in-house developed software or software that was CE-marked under the repealed IVDD directive (98/79/EC). The primary benefits of using IVDR-certified software relate to product performance, product maintenance, product availability, and product innovations.
- Product performance: Since the bioinformatics pipelines and tertiary analysis are the main determinants of the overall safety and performance as well as the analytical and clinical performance of in-house IVDs for tumor profiling, the performance evaluation of in-house developed or IVDD software may not meet the requirements of the IVDR, leaving it up to the laboratory to establish IVDR compliance for this part of the workflow. When using IVDR-certified CE IVD products, compliance for this part of the workflow is ensured by the IVD manufacturer.
- Product maintenance: Tumor profiling, including the tertiary analysis, is continuously developing and therefore requires updates of algorithms and data to maintain the state-of-the-art and the clinical benefit of the in-house IVD. Employing an IVDR-certified CE-IVD ensures that the analysis remains state-of the-art and relieves the laboratory from effort intensive software and data maintenance.
- Product availability: The IVDR stipulates that in-house IVDs may no longer be marketed after May 2028, if an equivalent IVDR-certified CE-IVD is available that can fulfill the needs of the target patient group or the required level of performance.
- Product innovations: IVD products that are CE-marked under the repealed IVDD and still marketed are not allowed to be significantly further developed, which hampers the implementation of product innovations – also those that may be necessary to keep up with the state-of-the-art. IVDR-certified CE-IVDs do not have this limitation and are thus open for product innovation to maintain and even further develop the state-of the art in the field.
A smooth transition to an IVDR-compliant workflow
Molecular Health has already achieved IVDR certification of MH Guide in 2022 to facilitate your transition to IVDR-certified tertiary analysis. As an IVDR-certified product, MH Guide offers laboratories the highest level of assurance for variant annotation and interpretation as well as clinical therapy planning.
- A future-proof solution for your laboratory
MH Guide already complies with the IVDR requirements and is therefore capable to also cope with future innovations in the field.
- Benefit from the highest standard of quality
Our IVDR-certified software meets the highest quality standards and is subject to regular software and content updates.
- Simplify your tumor profiling workflow
Without additional effort for your laboratory, MH Guide enables IVDR-compliant variant annotation and interpretation and simplifies clinical decision making.
Experience MH Guide live!
You would like to experience MH Guide live or have questions about our IVDR-certified software?
"As molecular pathology is used today to support many oncology treatment decisions, it is all the more important that the analysis is subject to the highest quality standards. We rely on the IVDR-certified MH Guide software as it is one of the first solutions to meet these high standards",
Prof. Dr. med. Peter J. Wild, Director of the Dr. Senckenberg Institute of Pathology (SIP) at Frankfurt University Hospital
MH Guide is compatible with variant data from any in-house IVD (LDTs) or CE IVD products and ensures a simple workflow.